The differences between: machine translation, machine aided translation, multilingual content management and translation technology are these:
- Machine translation, sometimes referred to by the abbreviation MT, is a sub-field of computational linguistics that investigates the use of computer software to translate text or speech from one natural language to another. At its basic level, MT performs simple substitution of words in one natural language for words in another. Using corpus techniques, more complex translations may be attempted, allowing for better handling of differences in linguistic typology, phrase recognition, and translation of idioms, as well as the isolation of anomalies.
- Computer-assisted translation,computer-aided translation, or CAT is a form of translation wherein a human translator translates texts using computer software designed to support and facilitate the translation process. Computer-assisted translation is sometimes called machine-assisted, or machine-aided translation.Some advanced computer-assisted translation solutions include controlled machine translation (MT). Integration of MT into computer-assisted translation has been implemented in various ways by various parties. Although this type of technology is neither widely known nor available to individual translators, carefully-customized user dictionaries based on correct terminology significantly improve the accuracy of MT, and as a result, they improve the efficiency of translation process.
- Summary of the issues of managing multilingual websites:
– Non-Latin character sets.
- Translation is the action of interpretation of the meaning of a text, and subsequent production of an equivalent text, also called a translation, that communicates the same message in another language. The text to be translated is called the source text, and the language it is to be translated into is called the target language; the final product is sometimes called the “target text.”
- Machine translation. (2008, June 7). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:11, June 11, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Machine_translation&oldid=217780916
- Computer-assisted translation. (2008, June 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:09, June 11, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Computer-assisted_translation&oldid=218174847
- Kitsite and its clients 1999-2007. All other trademarks acknowledged: http://www.kitsite.com/articles/multilingual-content-management.html
- Translation. (2008, June 8). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:15, June 11, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Translation&oldid=218047427